Table of Contents
In this age of globalization, when we can work anywhere in the world with just an internet connection, it makes sense to have a policy that covers us no matter where we are. But what happens if something goes wrong? What if your laptop gets stolen or your phone breaks? Will you be able to get help?
If you’re looking for a comprehensive travel insurance policy that will protect you against theft, loss, trip cancellation, emergency evacuation, medical expenses, baggage delay, lost passport, flight delays, missed connections, and more, then you need SafetyWing’s Nomad’s Insurance.
But not every company offers such comprehensive coverage. So, let’s take a look at some pros and cons of this product so that you can make an informed decision on whether it’s right for you.
Moreover, In this nomad insurance review, I’ll cover what is SafetyWing nomads insurance, what it includes, pricing, detailed benefits, customer service, and why you need it.
Let’s dive into the details below:
What Is SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
The name says it all. It’s a travel insurance policy designed for nomads.
SafetyWing is relatively new but already has thousands of customers worldwide including many digital nomads.
It was founded in 2017 by two Sondre Rasch who wanted to create a better way to provide travel insurance for nomads.
Rasch is an entrepreneur and was the co-founder of this company. So, the nomad insurance policy has been designed by people who know what nomads need. According to a recent survey, Global travel insurance revenues are expected to increase by nearly four times in 2030 compared to 2020, after recovering from COVID-19. In 2020, the market was worth almost 16 billion U.S. dollars, but by 2030 it is predicted to be worth 59 billion dollars.
What Does SafetyWing Nomad Insurance Cover?
Before you get any insurance policy, you need to know what it covers. Otherwise, you’re just throwing your money away.
SafetyWing nomad insurance covers the following countries and activities:
Countries Covered by SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
The great news is that SafetyWing nomad insurance covers most of the world. Including your home country. The only countries that are not covered are North Korea, Iran, and Cuba. But you can travel to Cuba if you are a US citizen.
Moreover, if you’re a nomad and move around a lot, you don’t need to worry about your coverage. Because SafetyWing nomads insurance covers you no matter where you are in the world.
Activities Covered by SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
All of the major activities that nomads do are covered by SafetyWing nomads insurance. This includes working online, freelance work, blogging, consulting, and more.
Some of the other activities that are covered are:
- Bungee jumping
- Hot air ballooning as a passenger
- Hiking up to 4,500 meters
- Cycling under 4,500 meters
- Horse riding
- Camel riding
- Skiing (not off-piste)
- Scuba diving as long as you are certified
- Snowboarding (not off-piste)
On the other hand, there are some activities that are not covered. These include dangerous activities like base jumping, skydiving, and bungee jumping without a guide.
- Mountaineering at elevations of 4,500 meters or higher
- Whitewater Rafting
So, overall, SafetyWing nomads insurance covers a wide range of activities and countries. But there are some limits to what it covers. But these are activities that most nomads won’t be doing anyway.
What Are The Detailed Benefits Of SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
Now that you know what SafetyWing nomads insurance covers, let’s take a look at the detailed benefits.
This will give you a better understanding of what you’re actually getting with this policy.
Medical Benefits of SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
SafetyWing nomad insurance has some of the best medical benefits in the industry.
This is one of the most important things to look for in any insurance policy. Because if you get sick or injured while traveling, you want to make sure you’re covered.
The maximum limit of $250,000 is one of the highest in the industry. And it covers you for emergency medical expenses, hospitalization, and evacuation. The nomads below the age of 65 years are eligible for this policy.
The deductible is only $250 which is also one of the lowest in the industry. So, you won’t have to pay much out of pocket if you need to use your insurance.
For over 65 years nomads, the medical benefits are a bit different. The maximum limit is $100,000.
But overall, SafetyWing nomads insurance has great medical benefits. And it’s one of the most important things to look for in any insurance policy.
Hospital room and nursing services are covered up to the policy limit.
- Physical therapy and chiropractic care: SafetyWing nomads insurance also covers physical therapy and chiropractic care. This is important because if you’re injured while traveling, you want to be able to get the treatment you need. The policy limit for this is $50 per day and must be ordered in advance by your doctor.
- Emergency dental care: SafetyWing nomads insurance also covers emergency dental care. This is important because dental emergencies can be very painful and expensive. The policy limit for this is $1,000 per person. And it is not subject to the deductible.
- Ambulance and emergency transportation: SafetyWing nomads insurance also covers ambulance and emergency transportation. This is important because if you’re injured while traveling, you want to be able to get the treatment you need. Usual, reasonable, and customary charges for ambulance services are covered up to the policy limit. And this is not subject to the deductible.
- COVID 19 Coverage: SafetyWing nomads insurance also covers COVID 19. This is important because it’s a new disease and you want to make sure you’re covered. SafetyWing ensures that all nomads are covered for COVID 19. The coverage only works if your physician diagnoses you with COVID-19 while you’re insured. And if you’re diagnosed with COVID-19, SafetyWing will cover the cost of 50$ per day and for up to 10 days. Antibodies tests are not covered.
Travel Benefits of SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
SafetyWing nomads insurance also has some great travel benefits. As a nomad, you’re always on the go. And it’s important to have insurance that covers you while you’re traveling.
Trip interruption and delay
If your trip is interrupted or delayed, SafetyWing nomads insurance will reimburse you for up to $5,000 per person. This is important because it can be very expensive to change your travel plans.
And if your trip is delayed for more than 12 hours, SafetyWing will reimburse you for up to $100 per day for up to 2 days. This is important because it can be very expensive to change your travel plans. No deductible applies.
Baggage and personal belongings
SafetyWing nomads insurance also cover your baggage and personal belongings. Any nomad knows that it’s important to have insurance that covers your belongings.
The policy limit for this is $3,000 per certificate period. And it is not subject to the deductible. So, if you lose your baggage or have it stolen, you’ll be covered. But there is a limit of $500.00 per item and $6000.00 for a lifetime.
Natural Disaster – Require New Place To Stay
Well, I know nomads don’t like to think about it. But natural disasters can happen anywhere in the world. And if they do, you want to be covered.
SafetyWing nomads insurance will cover you up to $100 per day for any natural disaster that requires you to find a new place to stay. It covers only 5 days and has a $500 limit. But it’s better than nothing.
Emergency Medical Or Political Evacuation
This digital nomad insurance also covers emergency medical or political evacuation. This is important because if there’s a medical or political emergency, you want to be able to get out of there as quickly as possible.
The policy limit for emergency medical evacuation is $100,000 for a lifetime. And for political evacuation, it’s $10,000 per person. So, if there’s an emergency, you’ll be covered. No deductible applies.
These are just some of the benefits that SafetyWing nomads insurance offers. There are many more benefits not mentioned here. So, if you’re a nomad, be sure to check out SafetyWing nomads insurance. It could be the perfect insurance for you.
How much does SafetyWing’s Nomad Insurance Cost?
While the price of nomad insurance varies depending on your age range and US travel area, the base cost for a 4-week nomad insurance plan is $42.
The recurring payment is available for nomads who want to pay nomad insurance on a month-to-month basis, and the price varies. For nomads of different age ranges, the price is as follows:
|Age Range (Years)
|Cost: Excluding US
|Cost: Including US
|15 Days – 9 Years
The Pros: What Makes SafetyWing Nomad Insurance Different from Other Travel Insurance
There are many reasons why SafetyWing is different from other travel insurance companies, but here are some of the most notable ones:
- Home Country Visits Are Covered: SafetyWing covers nomads who travel to their home countries for up to 90 days per certificate period. The medical insurance for up to 30 days per home country visit is included in the nomad insurance plan.
- Automatic Monthly Payments: You can set up automatic monthly payments for your nomad insurance policy. This is great for nomads who want to be able to pay their insurance without having to worry about it.
- Young Children Included: SafetyWing nomad insurance plans include dependent children up to the age of 9.
- Sign Up Even Your Journey Has Started: With SafetyWing, you can sign up for nomad insurance even if your journey has already started. So, traveling nomads don’t have to worry about being without insurance.
- Customer Support: SafetyWing has a customer support team that is available 24/7 to help nomads with any questions or problems they may have.
- No limit on the duration of travel: SafetyWing nomad insurance plans have no limit on the duration of travel. So, nomads can travel for as long as they want without having to worry about their insurance.
- Clear pricing structure: SafetyWing has a clear pricing structure that is easy to understand. The price of nomad insurance depends on your age range and US travel area.
The Cons: Downsides of SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
As we know, no company or product is perfect. There are always going to be downsides. Here are some of the downsides of SafetyWing nomad insurance:
- Limited Coverage: One of the downsides of SafetyWing nomad insurance is that it only covers a limited amount of things. For example, it doesn’t cover lost or Stolen belongings, trip cancellations, or missed flights.
- Not available in all countries: SafetyWing nomad insurance is not available in all countries such as Cuba, Iran, and North Korea. So, nomads from these countries will not be able to get SafetyWing nomad insurance.
- People Over 70+ years old are not eligible: SafetyWing nomad insurance is not available for people who are over 70 years old.
Frequently Asked Questions about SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
What is SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is a travel medical insurance policy designed specifically for digital nomads, remote workers, and long-term travelers. It provides coverage for emergency medical expenses, medical evacuation, travel delay, lost checked luggage, and more.
Who is eligible for SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is available to citizens of any country who are traveling outside of their home country. It is particularly suited for digital nomads, remote workers, and long-term travelers who require ongoing medical coverage while they work and travel abroad.
What does SafetyWing Nomad Insurance cover?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance provides coverage for emergency medical expenses, medical evacuation, travel delay, lost checked luggage, accidental death and dismemberment, and more. The policy also includes a telemedicine benefit that allows policyholders to consult with a doctor remotely.
How much does SafetyWing Nomad Insurance cost?
The cost of SafetyWing Nomad Insurance varies depending on a number of factors, including the policyholder’s age, destination, and coverage period. As of 2023, the monthly premium for the policy is $153.
How do I purchase SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance can be purchased online through the SafetyWing website. Applicants can fill out an online application form and receive coverage confirmation and policy documents via email within minutes.
Can I purchase SafetyWing Nomad Insurance while I am already traveling?
Yes, you can purchase SafetyWing Nomad Insurance while you are already traveling. However, there may be a waiting period of 2-5 days before the coverage becomes effective.
How long can I be covered by SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance provides coverage for up to 364 days. However, policyholders can renew their coverage for an additional period of up to 364 days.
Can I use SafetyWing Nomad Insurance in my home country?
No, SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is designed to provide coverage while policyholders are traveling outside of their home country. It does not provide coverage for medical expenses incurred in the policyholder’s home country.
What should I do if I need to make a claim from SafetyWing Nomad Insurance?
Policyholders can submit claims online through the SafetyWing website. The claims process typically takes a few weeks, and policyholders may be required to provide supporting documentation, such as medical bills or receipts.
Conclusion and Final Thoughts on SafetyWing Nomad Insurance
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance is a great option for nomads who are looking for an affordable and comprehensive insurance policy.
It has many benefits, such as covering home country visits, automatic monthly payments, young children being included, and customer support.
However, there are also some downsides to SafetyWing nomad insurance, such as the limited coverage and not be available in all countries.
So, if you’re a nomad who is looking for insurance, be sure to check out SafetyWing nomad insurance. It could be the perfect insurance for you.